Eye relaxation exercises relieve dry eyes, tired eyes, eyes strained caused by prolonged computer usage and other eye strain symptoms.
If your work is deskbound, or if you face the computer screen for hours, you would have these eye strain symptom: fatigue, blurred vision, headache. (Learn how to reduce computer eye strain)
From studies, very few people know how to rest their eye effectively.
The following eye relaxation exercises will help you to relax and reduce eye fatigue. You should repeat the relaxation exercise after every 30 minutes of computer work.
1. Sit comfortably on a chair. Rub your hands together until they feel warm.
2. Close the eyes and cover them lightly with your cupped palms. Avoid applying pressure on your eye balls. Place the palm so that the nose remain uncovered, and the eyes remain behind the slight hollow of the palms.
3. Make sure that no light rays enter the eyes, and leave no gaps between fingers or between the edge of the palms and the nose.
4. You may still see other lingering traces of colors. Imagine deep blackness and focus on the blackness.
5. Take deep breaths slowly and evenly, think of some happy incident; or visualise a distant scene.
6. Repeat the palming for 3 minutes or more.
Looking at Distant Objects
Our eyes are relax when they are made to look at distance.
If you are feeling strain after working at your computer for some time, simply look out of a window or at distant objects about 5 meters away from your work area.
If you eyes feel strained, they can be rested by doing this eye relaxation exercise (i.e. looking at distant objects) for a few minutes.
Rhythmic Movements – Bar Swings
- Find a window or a door which has vertical bars or grill.
- Gaze through the bars, and look at distant objects.
- Sway slowly and rhythmically, just like the pendulum of a clock. Keep your breathing rhythmically too.
- Transfer your weight from one foot to the other, and keep your body muscles limp and lax.
- Repeat 100 times daily, blinking as you sway. Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.
- Continue for 2 – 3 minutes or more.
Rhythmic Movements – Round Swing
1. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, arms hanging loosely at your sides.
2. Gaze at a low-lying distant object, Shift your weight to your right foot, and swing your upper body to the right, letting the heel of your left foot come up off the floor. Watch your surroundings as you swing. Breathe rythmically.
If you can see a tree out the window or in the distance, notice how it seems to move opposite to the direction you are swinging.
3. Return to the original position.
4. Continue to swing to your left similarly.
5. While doing this eye relaxation exercises, breathe rythmically and blink as you sway.
Blinking cleans and lubricates the eyes, which is especially important if you spend a lot of time in front of a computer.
6. Continue for at least 2 – 3 minutes. Repeat 100 times daily.
Rhythmic Movements – Head Movement
- Close your eye. With your head, slowly and gently form a figure of 8 in air.
- Move and breathe rhythmically.
- Continue for 3 minutes or more.
Hot and Cold Compresses
This eye relaxation exercise helps to improve the blood circulation around the eyeballs and face.
- Soaked small towers in hot and cold water.
- Apply first tower (either the warm or cold one) and compress it to your face, eyebrows, closed eyelids and cheeks.
- Apply the other, make sure you end the session with a cold compress.
These compresses open up the small blood vessels of the face and eyeballs, and therefore relieve eye strain.
Splash Water on Closed Eyes
- Sprinkle cold water from a running tap on the closed eyes for a few seconds.
- Allow the water on the face to dry on its own, and do not wipe your face dry.
Face and Eye Massage
This eye relaxation exercise is effective in relieving the tension in the facial and eye muscles.
- Soak a tower in warm or hot water. Rub your forehead, cheeks and neck vigorously with the tower. However, do not rub your eyes.
- After this, gently massage your forehead and your closed eyelids with finger tips.
Another useful eye relaxation exercise for your eye-muscles is Magnetic Treatment.
Wear a special magnetic frames for 5 – 10 minutes daily. The magnetic waves emanating from the magnets rest the eyes and relieve strain.